The ultimate directory of podcast interview prompts and questions for busy podcast hosts
Hi, I’m KP. As a podcast host, when you are preparing your questions for the interview, often times you may hit a writer’s block and can’t come up with any interesting questions. This happens to me all the time while preparing for my pod: Build In Public Podcast. So I decided to build a quick cheatsheet that can act as a handy aid/tool to unblock you and inspire some interesting questions/ prompts for your interview so your conversation flows smoothly.
- What’s so core & essential to you that most people may not know instantly?
- What do you love about yourself that has nothing to do with your money or success?
- What is a question you’ve been asked recently or a long time ago that transformed how you see yourself?
- What is something that you do easily that you are puzzled why others are bad at?
- What is your favorite 6 - 12 months period of your career?
- If you could have dinner with any 3 people dead or alive who would it be and why?
- If you could have a billboard with anything - what would you write on it and why?
- What’s a recent example where you broke a rule as a founder or a myth and feel pretty proud of it?
- What is the greatest risk you believe you’ve taken?
- What is the best purchase you made that’s $100 or less?
- What’s super old about your niche/domain that won’t change in your view? What’s super new that will stay for a reasonably long time?
- If you could be known to everyone by one identity… which one would you pick?
- If you could interview a famous person who’s not alive anymore — who would you pick? And why?
- What's something you're spending more time on than usual these days?
- How would your parents describe what you do for a living?
- If you could do college all over again, what would you do differently?”
- What are your top 3 books of all time?
- What’s something that other people may over-value that you don’t?
- What’s something new you’ve tried recently that you haven’t shared publicly yet?
- What’s an idea/space/company you passed on that you wish you hadn’t, and why?
- What activity feels like fun like a video game but could be work for others?
- What is a one-tweet worth of advice would you give your 18 year old self about life?
- Who has been a childhood role model for you that made an outsized impact on you becoming who you are today? As in who would you like to give a public thank you to?
- What’s the best experiment and the worst experiment you ran in recent times?
- If you had a chance to attend college now, are there classes you would like to take?
- What’s the number 1 takeaway from your current worldview that you wish people listening to absorb?
- What was a rather unpleasant or a screwed up moment recently for you? Imagine that and share with us what was your bounce back routine after your worst moment?
- In your own words, what does the phrase [insert phrase related to your topic, niche, audience] mean to you?
- When was the last time you faced two really compelling hard choices? And why did you make the final choice?
- If you had the budget and were forced to acquire another business, what would you acquire?
- If someone new had to run your business for a year without you, what would be the first 3 things you'd teach them to do?
- If you had to automate or outsource one thing you do manually in your business, what would it be?
- What would be the best testimonial you could ever get about your product or service and who would it be from?
- What is something most people think is important but you skipped entirely in your career/ journey?
- What’s something important to your daily routine now you wish you started sooner?
- What specific methods or techniques have led to building your most valuable business relationships?
- What’s one thing you believe you did that’s radically different from your peers 5 years ago?
- What are some of the biggest stressors for you right now in your journey? How can I prepare for them earlier?
- What’s one thing you changed your mind about recently?
- What’s one thing you believed 5 years ago that you had to unlearn the hard way to get to where you are now?
- What’s one thing you ignored early on but you came around to it because it became super important?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received and how have you implemented it into your life?
- What is something you’ve read that has really lifted you on your journey and what kind of impact did it make
- If you could write down one question on your bedside and have the answer tomorrow morning, what would that be?
- What is the one activity or person that makes you happiest in the world?
- What does the hero of your story want?
- If you had a time machine, where and when would you travel to?
- What is the most important decision you’ve made and why?
- In your opinion, what advice seems obviously right, is relatively easy to follow, and is usually ignored?
- Have you ever replaced a bad habit with a good one? If so, what did you do?
- What nascent behavior today will go mainstream 3-5 years from now?
- What's a contentious point of debate in your field that would surprise an outsider like me? (David Perell)
- What lesson took you the longest to unlearn? (Elon Musk)
Note: This list will be updated periodically, so stay tuned for more interesting / insightful questions that will be added soon.
If you like this, you’ll like my other projects and frameworks that I share for free on my newsletter. Sign up below:
Created with love ❤️ by KP
Special credit to tons of amazing creators like Dickie Bush, Josh Spector, Danny Miranda, James Clear whose work has inspired these questions.